Monday, February 22, 2010

Weekend Road Trip

The last few weekends we have been going on mountain road trips... 3 weeks ago we headed up highway 20, as far as it would let us go... and we took two of the kids with us.. That is my favorite mountain trip... you follow the river all the way up... just beautiful. They say it is one of the best places to see bald eagles in our area... but I saw fewer on that trip than in the local neighborhood We checked out a couple of parks/camp grounds.. and had a great dinner at a cafe... it was a lot of fun but we did not find any snow to play in. We did do some fun small hikes in the trees.
The next weekend we headed up to Mt Baker... this time just Dave and I... it was another beautiful sunny day...could not resist.... it was also opening day for the Olympics which are happening just on the other side of the border... so there were a LOT of border cops on this trip. We had to go all the way to the top of the mountain to get any snow and even then there was not much. We were able to explore some of the service roads off the main road... Can't wait to get the Cherokee fixed up so we can do some more exploring.. I get very nervous when we take the Commander off the main road... I hate it when it gets dirty :)

This weekend we took Dave's mom to her doctors appointment in Bellingham so on the way back we took the back roads... down Chuckanut drive and then through the flats to LaConner.... so pretty... saw some bald eagles... and lots of snow geese and even a coyote in a field.. not the same field with the snow geese, he was just hanging out by himself.
We also saw so many signs of spring.. the flowers blooming... it was really a nice day. We then spent the afternoon and all day Saturday working on the jeep and around the house.. did some spring cleaning... got the lawn moved... the cars all washed... the jeep is up and running good with only the bumpers and a water bottle waiting to be put on... (waiting on ups) so on Sunday we decided to get up and take off for another mountain run... this time we went up highway 2 across Stevens pass... then had lunch in Wenatchee.. we were looking for a hamburger joint.. but found a skippers fish and chips.. like the only one left in the whole state I think..... woohooo. We then headed over Blewitt pass... to Cle Elum.. stopped for a great milkshake... and came over on 90 over Snoqualmie pass. So now after hitting 5 mountain/passes in 3 weeks... I can tell you... there is NOT enough snow on them... this summer is going to be messed up... I expect our power bills to go way up.. and lots of water shortage... I expect to see more wild fires too :( I love the beautiful weather we have been having.. but... not looking forward to a dry summer.

One of the coolest things we saw on the trip this last weekend.. were some kayakers in the river... we had just pulled over to stretch our legs and check the river out and saw this.




And this is what they did :)

No comments:

Post a Comment