Sunday, December 20, 2009

Brians Graduation from Washington Youth Academy



He is graduated and home! His graduation was in Bremerton so it was a long day.. a little over 2 hours there... picked up his stuff from the academy at 7:30 am.. then we all went out to breakfast...then over to the high school for the graduation... we were there right when they opened the door at 9 am so we were able to get pretty good seats...the place filled up fast. They started right at ten.. as with all graduations there were a lot of people doing a lot of speaking and many thank you's.

I did record one speech.. give by Colonel Pettit, it was a very heart felt speech and very touching. You can tell the people who work with these kids do it because they care.. and they want to make a difference.. and they really do. 121 kids... high risk... came to WYA for many different reasons but for many of the kids it was their last chance. There are kids who were getting into crime.. gangs... dropping out of school.. very low grades... horrible attitudes... and yet This man spoke of kids who in 6 months went up 6 full grade levels... one child there lost 92 pounds.. in 6 months... these kids, when given what WYA gave them...were able to work so very hard and to change their lives in 6 months. I will forever be grateful for the differences I see in my son... for the chances they have given him and the things they have taught him. I look forward to watching him use the skills and knowledge he has gained while at WYA to continue making changes in his life and in others. I have always known that Brian can do it.. and WYA showed/taught him that he can.

One of my favorite parts... yes I cried in it.. I cried like a baby through the whole thing.. was when they showed a video of before and after photos... I enjoyed watching the video and seeing how much each person had changed.. not only did they all get short hair.. but you can see in their eyes a different attitude... the best part though was watching and listening to the group of cadets as they watched their own photos and that of their friends... you could tell from the sounds and pointing that there was shock and surprise at who they themselves had been and had become.

Washington Youth Academy... Thank you.. to each and ever person involved. If this sounds like something that might be good for your child.. I highly suggest looking into it.. and I do believe it is offered in other states too. On the main page there is a drop down list of other states so you can find one near you.

Washington Youth Academy

Posted some pictures here Flickr

and some videos here youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment