Monday, October 24, 2011

Big Four Ice Caves

This was a wonderful weekend, we did not get a LOT done around the house.. we did get the garage cleaned up and ready for finishing up the dust collection.. and we did get the closet redone in the back room so I can get some stuff organized back there. Other than that we did nothing but relax and have fun. We went out on the bike on Saturday and headed to La Conner for some Awesome fish and chips, we walked around and did some shopping.. just a nice time together. Saturday night we had a late dinner at the Olive Garden and just some more nice time to sit and visit and home for some snuggle time while watching some tv. I love these weekends we just spend time reconnecting with each other :)

Lots of caches right here on the island.. but we are going to save those for another day

Sunday we decided to go do some geo caching, which I am so happy to be getting back into. We headed up Mountain Loop Highway which is one of our favorite places to go for a drive, or hiking or camping... it is so beautiful out there and we have had a lot of fun there. Yesterday we added one more awesome day to list of ones we have had out there. We started out just getting some quick and easy caches in some short interactive walks at a couple of places.

I did find the biggest Wish Rock I have ever seen :)

After some of these trails and caches we decided to head up to the ice caves... it just a mile hike up and a mile back... well if you stay on the trails it is just a mile each way. We are not well known for staying on the trail... always just want to see what is around the corner. So off we go. Figure by the time we went after a couple of caches up at the top and one in the middle.. that we added another mile or so to our walk :)

Such beautiful colors out here today and it was not too warm or too cold.. just perfect!

Had to take a little trail to the left so we could pick up a cache at the corner there :)

Under the new (since we were there) bridge caching before we cross it and head up and the trail.. will have to go back for this one as we did not find it. :(


There is a cache in there we will head back for too... never good to get all of them in one area... this way we have to go back here someday :) Hard to tell in the picture.. but this is big enough for Dave and I to both climb around inside of.
Almost out of the woods.
This is safe viewing distant... those little holes down there are the entrance to the caves themselves.. and are about 20 feet tall... but there are signs saying it is not safe and things can fall on you.. there are signs here and at the base before you even start.. also there are signs reminding you that there is no cell service.. has not been for miles. Just last year a little girl was killed and mom hurt when they were down near the mouths of the caves... then I read that the dad was trying to get something done about the safety.. or get the trails closed... I just do not understand why people make bad choices and then think it is not their fault... Be careful and read the warnings and pay attention to them.. it is not safe or smart to ignore them.. and if you do and something happens.. man up and be responsible for your own choices. I am horribly sorry for their loss... I am also sorry for all of the places and things that we as people can not do or see because some people made bad choices and it causes places to be closed.

With this all being said.. we did go a bit closer.... we did not go into the caves... and we did not (even though one picture looks like it) place ourselves under the edges of the cave either. We did walk on the snow/ice but only on the outside where it touches the ground and is an inch deep. I do have to say.. it is very tempting... then again.. it is just not worth it.

This is as close as we got... it looks like Dave is right in there but he really is not... this was a shorter cave and was so cool you could see the waterfall behind it.. this was the hard one for me not to go into.. it was just so amazing.

This trail is full of so many beautiful colors and textures and lots of water and fun stuff. Was a wonderful hike.. easy trail... will do it again .. in the spring for sure.. I bet there is a lot more snow up there in the spring.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful two days you must have had. The pictures are so pretty. You sure know how to get the best out of life. Just goes to show that inexpensive small trips can be so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a perfect weekend! Beautiful :}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks.. we had a lot of fun.. most of the best times we have we are not spending money.. just being together makes everything pretty perfect.. I know.. gag cough gag too sweet.. lol but Dang I just love this guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are amazing! I would love to visit your part of the world.
    So sad about the little girl! What else could a father do in his grief? So tragic.
    I'm glad that you are doing good and enjoying time as a couple. I treasure my time with my husband when we are hiking. He'd love to take me back into the mountains but I'm still afraid of the bears. It's foolish to be so afraid. Just recently I read that people studying the polar bears used firecrackers as a deterrent. I wonder if that would work for me! Take care, Jenny

    ReplyDelete