I have always believed that as humans we believe what we are told and what we see, and picking what we hear or see so that we do not have to face truths. I know that is how it is for me and I watch it happen with others. Example for me.. instead of looking at my whole self and telling myself I was getting fat.. instead I managed to find one thing I did like.. say my shoes.. each day and really focus on how cute they were and I would tell myself many times throughout the day how cute they were.. that way I did not have to see myself for what I was. This list could be endless. I found that by making cupcakes instead of cake I was lying to myself about what and how much I was eating... my bowls and plates and cups got bigger... that way I could pretend I was not eating more... I mean it still looked the same on the plate.
This diet I am on now is teaching me a lot about how I do things.. making me really sit and think and look at myself and how I got where I am and how I am going to get where I want to be and to STAY where I want to be. Number one is being open and honest with myself about me. One thing I have decided is that instead of telling myself I "can't" have fast food or whatever it is. I am just going to say I do not want it. When I use the word "can't" it right away makes me want it even more than I did before. The truth is.. I can have it.. but I really do not want it... not as much as I want to be healthy. In taking this approach I feel stronger... I am the one with the power.. no one is telling me I "can't" .. I am deciding I do not want it.
I need to stay focused on the here and the now with an eye on tomorrow. Keep working towards what I want and keep being honest with how I got where I am. I need to keep my eyes open to everything.. not just what I want to see. I need to take the good and the bad and work on a balance. I need to face those habits I have and change them. I have been thinking of food as a comfort.. and yet... it does not really comfort me when it makes me fat and unhealthy and keeps me from liking myself. This diet is changing how I look at myself and how I deal with things. It is teaching me a lot about myself and how I work. It is helping me to get focused and learn new habits. In the process I am also losing some weight. This "diet" is working well for me!








I'm with you! The word "diet" used to send me screaming to the nearest Dairy Queen for a peanut buster parfait. There's something about having restrictions that makes me defiant. But when I see it in terms of choice as in "I choose to have an apple and cheese for lunch" or "I choose to go home for lunch rather than go through the Burger King drive-thru" I am much happier. And healthier!
ReplyDeleteOne of the great things that is happening is it is teaching me to think like this outside of food also... changing my attitude about a lot of things in my life.. I am loving this and am glad you commented.. always nice to know someone gets it :)
ReplyDelete