Sunday, January 24, 2010

Terrifying Teens

I have been looking around and noticing that there are a LOT of sites/groups/clubs for people with toddlers... lots of support on how to get through the terrible twos... I have also noticed.. there is no where near as much help/support for parents of teenagers. I have 5 teenagers...they all used to be toddlers.. and let me tell you... terrible twos are nothing compared to the terrifying teens. I thought I would start writing a bit on my blog about some of the wonderful *cough* things about teenagers. Going to start writing once a week on it and hopefully there can be some discussion in the comments.. support and ideas and comments... I KNOW there are a lot of people out there with teenagers. I have also talked to my daughter and asked if she would be willing to post once in awhile with her thoughts and/or ideas on things.. I am just going to throw this up once a week for awhile and see where it goes.. will base it on the comments I get and if anyone is interested in any of this.

Why I think I will be good at this... I have 5 kids... 4 boys aged 20...19...18... and step son is 15... and my daughter is 16. I think we have covered just about every subject in this house. We have dealt with girlfriends.. boyfriends... sex.. drinking.. drugs... driving... death....sexual molesting... physical abuse... verbal abuse... split families... step moms.. step dads.. half siblings and step siblings...grand parents... extended family....health issues... grades... failing... living with us and not living with us.....we are now dealing with the military too.. pretty much I think we have covered every subject out there...there are a couple we have not had to deal with... does not mean at some point and time we will not.. that is the biggest thing about teenagers... at least for me.. you never know what is around the corner... toddlers will wear you out physically... lots of chasing.. keeping you up at night.. but a teenager.. will break your heart in ways you never dreamed it could be broken.... Seems like even at the times you are the most proud.. your heart will be breaking. Going to do some writing about those type of things.. would love your input. Please leave a comment! I really want to know what you think about this idea... will you get in on the comments and can we get a discussion started?

Michelle

6 comments:

  1. Adirondack Metal DesignsJanuary 24, 2010 at 6:26 PM

    I think it's a great! You have been through it all...I am just getting going. Son is 15...so far the biggest issue is lack of interest in getting good grades. Midterms are this week and he has no plans to study. He plans to fail at least 1 test. No other issues yet so I guess I should feel lucky! Look forward to your shared wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading.. and commenting.. I have had a couple of kids that just do not seem to care about their grades... seems perfectly ok with them if they do not get the best grades they can... I do have some mixed feelings on this one.. will start working on a blog post for all of that.. it can be the first one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Michelle! You are scaring the snot out of me! My kids are 4 and 7 and there are moments I catch the littlest glimpses of what is to come. Now, it's a bit easier because I'm bigger than they are and they still think I'm pretty cool. In a couple of years, they will think I'm dumb as a box of rocks.

    I feel so powerless at times, trying to figure out how to deal with situations. I know if it's not dealt with now, I'm going to have a rough time when they are teens. Did I mention I'll be in my FIFTIES when my kids are teens?! Geez, you'd think I would've planned this thing a little better. :)

    I think it's a great idea for you to post topics that have to do with raising teens. I'll have to take notes to save for when my little darlin's are terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle...I need you to send me your mailing info...You were one of the prize winners on the Three Way Giveaway...You won The Ring Caddy from "Husband of Wonders Shop....Congratulatios

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good I could use one, I remember Mommy and Me when they were toddlers but since I barely know their friends, I can't hang out their moms. My son is almost 20 and my daughter is 16- she is my real handful. Just difficult

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have 5 kids and can totally relate to what you are saying. Us= boy 24(his, adopted)girl 22(mine)girl 20(mine)girl 17(his)girl almost 15(ours)
    ours is especially difficult strong willed child. There is not enough support for parents of teens and then add blended family on top of that.

    ReplyDelete