Wednesday, March 24, 2010

100 Reasons

Maybe not 100.... but my house has been kid free now for about 5 hours.. and will be for the next week.. and I am adding up the things I love about this. In the last few weeks... my middle son has gotten married and headed out to be a Marine.... my oldest son has moved out of the house.... son number 3 is working hard and planning on leaving this summer for boot camp... daughter is.. right this moment... on a plane to LA to check out some colleges for next year... and this mom has been dealing with a lot of empty nest feelings. It is all happening so quickly and had been making me feel pretty old and alone.

Now only hours after the last kid is gone for the whole week... I am NOT feeling old or alone... I spent the first hour alone cleaning the house... and guess what .. it is still clean!!! This is the most awesome feeling... I keep walking through the place...oh yeah.. everything is still where I put it! No one made any dirty dishes... or crumbs.. or .. hey wait... that takes me to the next thing I am loving... All the food is still in the fridge.. and.. it will be every time I look.. for a week. I also do not need to "guard" the last cup of coffee in the pot.... no one will drink it.... seems every time I leave a cup there for a "just in case moment" so I could warm it up if needed later in the day... as soon as I am not looking someone drinks it.

I also get my choice of bathrooms... might not seem like a big deal... but when we moved in here.. there were 7 people and one bathroom... now we have two bathrooms.. a kid one and adult one... but hey... I can use the kid one or the adult one (and they are both clean and will stay that way.. for a week) Every time I walk through the house... everything is where I left it... no extra noises... no need to put on a bra..... no weird smells... no questions... no comments... no one in my space... I am going to have to battle not to start remodeling their rooms... I have at least one more year for one bedroom.. and two years for the other room.. then they are all ours... if these kids come back to visit they better bring a sleeping bag and plan on pulling up some floor... I needed this reminder that no matter how much I love my kids... and I love being with them.. that... there does comes a time.. when we are meant to go our own ways and that it is ok for me to let go and let them grow up :) I now have things to do and plans to make.. 2 years will be like a blink of an eye :)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on alone time! My mom was pretty iffy when we all first moved out too, but now she has her craft room and she loves it :). She kept one room as a guest room for when we visit, but I know she loves her mom time :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mommy!
    Reading this made me want to get into my old onesy P.J.'s and curl up in your arms and watch Golden Girls with you while you mess with my curly blond hair.
    I LOVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete