
I am sick.. horribly sick... spent all day yesterday in bed.. and today I had the same plan... but... we are so addicted to geocaching right now.. and have it set up so that as soon as a new one is hidden it alerts us... that way we can be FTF (first to find) which all in all is not a HUGE deal.. but... ok it is :)
There is a little something exciting about being on the hunt for something no one else has found yet... there are so many different things about geocaching that I love. I love being outside.. I love that it is something I share with my family.... my parents my kids and even my sister and her family....I love meeting new people who do this... I love searching for the "treasure" and I love the challenge of the harder ones... even though they can be so very frustrating at times. I love all the history about our local area that we have learned since we started geocaching... it has taken us to places we drive by everyday and had no idea that they were there.. and had not even thought about them having a history. Learned that we drive over a 300 acre island that was man made by a few guys back in the early 1800's... every time we leave the island or come home.
Today I was laying in bed being sick.. and hurting from laying in bed... and then two caches were posted just down the road from here at the state park. We spend a fair amount of time at this park and know it well... both of the caches looked to be easy ones... so I threw on some clothes and headed out.... I was able to nab both of them easily. The First one is on a trail that a lot of people walk on... I got some funny looks standing in the woods but... oh well... I am pretty used to that... and then the second one.. there were no people on this trail.. but.. as I came around a corner.. a big deer jumped straight up about 5 feet and into the woods about 10 feet.. she just stood there watching me... so very beautiful... I got the cache and then headed back to the car.
While I was driving home I noticed what I thought was a dog... walking around in the road.. I slowed way down.. and as I got closer I could tell it was not a dog.. it had long skinny legs and was oh so wobbly... it was so sweet... I looked around for a mommy deer... but did not see any... I was watching as the baby was wobbling in the road.. crossing my fingers it would move a bit faster to the woods.. and then it laid down.. right in the road... .. about 3 feet from being safe... so I pull over and turn on my blinkers... with the way the sun and shadows were playing and how small this little guy was.. I knew I could not just leave him here.. .. being on state park property.. I called the state park and they sent a ranger down... he moved the baby (he used towels) into the woods a little bit and will keep checking on him to be sure the mom shows up and takes care of things. It was so hard not to touch the baby deer.. to be that close... oh he was so sweet.... some of him was still wet.. as if he had just been born.... beautiful.








No comments:
Post a Comment