They sort of have a long name because the best thing about these boxes is that they can be used for a lot of different things. Dave made these for me for my sea glass.. this way I can set it in the window sill or hang it in the window and the light can shine through and show the real beauty of the glass. Some of the white glass if left in the sunshine will turn a lavender color due to the manganese... or straw colored due to the selenium in the glass. I can also keep a frame full on the coffee table.. this way people can look at the sea glass but it keeps it safe from dirty fingers ( ok that is not really a problem for sea glass.. it washes.. but if it were something like dried flowers or something else you might want to be able to share and yet not have people touch it would work)
We also made one for our friend who loves to walk on the beach with me and then other people started seeing them and thinking they were cool and we decided to go for it and here we are. The plan is to make many more with different styles and sizes. Expect a lot more blogging about them as we work on a lot more ideas we have going on. We will be making a style that is a lot bigger and deeper and has doors on the front with shelves inside and someone else was asking about us making them one that has different sized grid inside. We have also had some request for frames that would match. We would love to explore any idea anyone has in these directions so please feel free to add any comments or ideas or suggestions you have. Please!

~Michelle










That is really beautiful!!!! I know you must be excited. How great that your husband takes part in your artistic visions.
ReplyDeleteThank you, He is really pretty awesome.. always supportive and helpful. This vision is mostly his.. he has built some stuff for his shop and then we built the cabinets for the house.. and he has drawings and plans for some incredible stuff aimed towards crafting and stuff for the home... ways of displaying things and making them useful and blending them into the home.. he is pretty dang smart like that :)
ReplyDeleteMichelle, these are awesome! I love the photo of the one holding your sea glass. One idea I had was that you could attach wire or some sort of hardware on top so they can be hung in front of the window (from a hook). You could also break out your beads and do bead/wire hangers for them.
ReplyDeleteThey are really wonderful!
ahhh Laura..Thank you!! great idea... the beaded wire hangers... I do offer to put either eye hooks or a hanger on them... just have to tell me which you want and if you want them on the top or the side.... I could use beads and some shells and sea glass with holes in them to make a pretty cool hanger.. will have to work on that.. I have used ribbon on one of mine and rope on one I am working on for someone else. I will see what I can make and offer it as an option too :)
ReplyDeleteThank you!!