If you have ever read my blog before then you know I LOVE Javacupcake! Not only are the women ( Betsy and Jenn) running it super awesome and fun to visit with (facebook here) but the recipes they share are so wonderful, easy and real and taste perfect. Betsy has been basically holding my hand while I attempt to make her butter cream recipe (here) I have tried a couple of times... both were good.. but not perfect by a long shot. Part of my problem is I can't just follow a recipe.. I always have to switch something up... and I can never find a measuring thing.. a cup or a spoon.. not because I don't have them... I just do not often use them and am not sure where they are. One I made was ok.. I added cut up fresh strawberries.. it tasted ok... a bit gritty.. texture was off.. and it was just not what I wanted.. the berry flavor was great though.
So backing up a bit... there was a contest on javacupcake and I was one of the 6 that won... I won a cupcake piping kit from Bake it Pretty .... The Best Ever Cupcake Icing Kit. It arrived today and I had to give it a try. Now I already have a chocolate cake in the house and not enough people here to eat it.. so I can't justify making cupcakes... but.. I figured I could make some frosting and pipe onto a plate.. and I did! I went for the strawberry again... This time it was a lot different. I am not sure if it was Betsy or Jenn who said something about really letting the butter and sugar cream.. even walk away from the mixer... let it do its job. I did that.. I mixed and mixed... and would scrape the bowl and then mix and mix some more... once the sugar and the butter were really really Really creamed... I added a little vanilla and a little milk and I let that mix and mix.. then I added a few cut up berries. The color is a very light pink... the flavor is all strawberry and the texture is just smooth and creamy and I may be up for days on this sugar high :)
Thank you so much Betsy and Jenn.. you are both wonderful and I am so grateful to you for all the fun and smiles you bring into my life.. with your friendship and your recipes :)
The pictures in this post are my first attempts at using the piping kit... I just piped them onto a plate.. frosting is in the fridge for next week when I can make cupcakes!








Yay!!! So awesome Michelle! :) xoxoxoxo
ReplyDeleteMichelle! You're sooooo rad! ;) I'm glad that it arrived so quickly...thanks for the lovely shout-out! *hugs*
ReplyDeleteAwesome Michelle! I have found buttercream to be my favorite frosting to make and have a VERY simple and tasty recipe. It's what I use all the time, no matter what flavor I'm doing. If you want the recipe, let me know!
ReplyDeleteDelicious! My mom always made buttercream frosting for our birthday cakes. I'm a cheater and use the canned variety. But I think I'd be tempted to try this. I'm going to have to check out the kit!
ReplyDelete