Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Zero to 18 in the Blink of an Eye

Feels like this photo was taken yesterday.. and yet it was almost 18 years ago

Many moons ago my daughter was born, after having 3 boys in 4 years I was so very happy to see her... and I knew I was done.. with having babies... the easy part.. now on to raising them. Friday she graduates from high school and then in a couple of weeks she turns 18... guess I am done with the raising part now too. A friend on facebook who happens to be about 20 and who has a sweet little baby girl posted about how her daughter will never leave her... just made me smile. They do not stay tiny and sweet and in your arms for as long as you think they will.. you blink and they grow up. This last week has been full of a lot of memories... thinking about Missy and all that has happened when she was growing up... I remember how excited her brothers were when she was born... how proud of their baby sister they were. The road a mom and a daughter travel through the years is a lot different than the one a mom travels with her sons.. I am so thankful to have traveled with you Missy!


Their first steps and first big laughs that scare them... the look on their faces when they figure out the hand on the end of the arm is theirs and they can control it.. sort of.... pretty sure Greg gave himself several black eyes before he figured it out. I loved having my kids so close together.. watching them learn together and help each other...as soon as one child could do something they all would be doing it... which was good and bad. Took forever to potty train them all but once one child had it.. they all got it. As soon as one kid learned he could climb out the window and across the roof and down to the porch.. they all did it. Melissa never let being a girl slow her down... if her brothers could do it.. then so could she and she did.

I am feeling swamped by so many memories... leaves me crying and laughing at the same time... I have loved every single minute of being a mom, not that all of them were easy.. it has been by far the hardest thing I have ever done.... looking back I know my mom warned me... she told me how much work it would be.. and how no one can rip your heart apart like a child, and yet while it is being ripped apart it is at the same time filling with even more love, because as a mom you understand that it is their job to test and to push and pull and yours to hang on and love them no matter what. To all who have sweet cute little ones now... and they smile at you and your heart melts... collect that love and save it... you will need it on a rainy day when they are 16 :)

Always peek at your children when they are sleeping.. no matter how old they get... peek in and kiss them on the forehead and tuck them in while they sleep... there is a connection there... it reminds us of our position in this relationship, to love, protect and guide... care for and teach and treasure.

To all of my children, I am so proud of you all in so many ways. You have all be wonderful children and I will always be your mom and here for you when you need me. I am loving getting to be your friend and look forward to every day with you all.

4 comments:

  1. This is the best post I've ever read. I mean it. Thank you for sharing your kids with us. They are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love it. It had me teary eyed a few times. Nice work Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so feeling this. My daughter is 19, in Iraq and my son is going to be 13. Maybe I should have another one? :) I get "baby syndrome" a lot. I love this and if I didn't bake I might just go crazy! They will only understand our emotions that they dismiss when they too go through the same thing. I couldn't have said this better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had one of those rainy days with my seventeen year old daughter last night, and had to come back here to read this post. Thanks for making me feel better...your wisdom about it being their job to test us hits home. It's also very true about the different roads mothers and sons take compared to mothers and daughters. Wish I had bought a four wheel drive!

    ReplyDelete