Monday, June 27, 2011

I Am a Blue Berry Snob and More

I do this every year.. and I am clueless as to why.. I should know better. I was at the grocery store and I saw they had blue berries on sale... I picked them up and then put them back and then ended up going back and getting some. They are horrible.. a huge waste of money. Not only are a bunch of them squished but some are moldy and some are not even ripe... they are just gross.
I grew up on a 45 acre blue berry farm and I am more than a spoiled snob when it comes to blue berries... I am really looking forward to visiting the local U Pick farm this year... am down to one small bag in the freezer and I need some great tasting fresh berries.


I have not been blogging much.. been too wrapped up in daughters graduation and her turning 18 and our last forced family road trip.

She did graduate and we had a wonderful day with friends and family stopping by for a bbq party.. it was a good weekend. She got a LOT of flowers :)



The following weekend we took Missy and John on a forced family road trip to the ocean.
The kids standing in front of a drill bit at the whoops site( Satsop Nuclear Power Plant ) ... and below is one of the towers... these things are HUGE!!!
we explored the whoops plant on the way there and then played some mini golf at one of our favorite places.
and spent sometime on the beach

we played games and had some great food...it was nice.. but it was very clear that even though we all had a good time.. we all would rather have been doing something with friends... sort of a weird thing.. it was a great time.. the kids were involved and part of it.. but... it is just not the same anymore.. which will be good... time to move on to having adult relationships with them all.. no more kids here.. sort of mixed feelings... excited to see what is coming and a little sad to see this change, but it does feel good... I am very proud of the kids and in myself for raising them to be independent.

Got some really cute fun cowboy shot glasses last week.. they were totally on sale and I could not refuse them :)


My mom brought me her spinning wheel, the one when I was growing up that I was not allowed to touch... it now lives in my living room... it is all put together and a friend came over and helped show me how to use it... now I practice a lot and I love it! It is another thing I am limited in how much time I can spend doing it due to the shoulder.. but I love it! I love the memories it brings from growing up.. I love that it makes yarn... furry stuff goes in and yarn comes out... I love it love it love it.. and I get to touch it every time I walk past it :)

We are still working on the wood shop... we did get most of the dust collecting items and are starting to get those set up so that we can finish building the rest of the cabinets and then it will be good to go. The dust collection has been the biggest challenge.. need it to gather as much dust as possible.. and be as out of the way as possible.. some tools collect from a couple of different places and some tools need to be able to move around the shop... all the tools seem to have different sized ports and there are 3 or 4 different ways/ type of hoses/pipes/and joints to use... and one kind matches with another but then another won't work and you can't seem to use all of one kind because none of them had all the pieces we need.. it has been a huge puzzle but I think we are on a roll now.
I am hoping to be doing a blog post all about that in the next week or two. We have been getting some trim pieces up on the one row of cabinets... makes it look so much more finished. We are both getting in a hurry to be able to use the shop to build fun stuff.. we still have orders coming in which is very exciting :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! so much to catch up on! I've missed your posts but know that this is a busy time of year. I love the spinning wheel and would love to learn how to make yarn. Perhaps one day I'll get to have a lesson from you:) It's funny that you are a blueberry snob. I grew up working on a strawberry farm 2 miles from home. I am a strawberry snob. We could be sisters. I have been feeling the way you feel about kids who grow up. Emily turned 17 this year and it's a hard road sometimes. I'm inspired by your thoughts about this. Thanks for visiting recently:) Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a huge post! You've been busy. I'm more of a strawberry snob than blueberry, but I do love sweet blueberries... especially from the PNW. Safeway in the summer some time has a special variety that's local (at least to the PNW) that are huge big blueberries and they're really sweet. My hubby and I just go in and grab handfuls from the fridge throughout the day.

    I miss those kinds of trips where you go and see interesting and educational things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to blogging and congratulations to your daughter!

    How much exploring is permitted at the power plant? Are there any signs explaining what happened? We love ghost towns and old abandoned equipment but a ghost nuclear power plant is a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, we got up pretty close.. it is a business park sort of place now.. no signs really about it at all.. had to get online and research to find any information about it.. there is a fence around stuff.. you can not walk into it or touch it.. well we did climb around and touch the HUGE drill bit.. but not the towers

    ReplyDelete