Thursday, September 22, 2011

Price Matching and Coupons

Yesterday I went grocery shopping and ventured into the land of price matching. It went really well.. I saved about $5 on produce. I also had some coupons I wanted to use and I ended up saving about $7 dollars with those. It was a nice time to give this all a try, the store was pretty quiet and empty.. no lines for checkers :) I did learn.. do not go to the line that sells tobacco. Even though it is not a quick check lane.. It is the only lane that sells tobacco and even though it went ok I am thinking if there had been people in the store it could have been stressful. My checker acted a little put out.. well she started with clueless and then went to put out... but I just kept smiling at her and pretending like I knew what I was doing.. and she got the job done.


I made my grocery list, on two different pages ... all the produce on one page, since we get a lot of that and I knew I would be price matching what I could there. Then everything else on another page. I put little stars next to items with coupons and ones that I price matched. Next time I will give coupon items a star and then items I price matched I will circle. As I got to the item on my list I would pull out the coupon and decide if I wanted to use it. I refuse to buy a brand name because I have a coupon if I can get the store brand cheaper. I only used about half the coupons I had hoped to use. I did however score $1.50 off coupon for the cat food, there was a pile of them sitting next to the food so I grabbed a couple. I did end up having to buy a huge bag of cat food and bag of liter not because of the coupons but because the store was out of the smaller bags.. I now have about a 6 month supply.

All in all it was a good experience, I like the price matching at Walmart.. super easy to do.. I just gathered up all the adds locally and went through pricing things on my list.. anything on sale for a good deal I made a note of... then when I was shopping at Walmart I checked to see if the other ads were cheaper.. some of them were a LOT cheaper, Walmart cauliflower was $1.89 and my local store had it for .79 cents I grabbed a couple of those.. onions were about half the price and apples were 30 cents cheaper a lb. I made sure and kept all the price matched items in the front of the cart and when I got to the check stand I told her right away I wanted to price match those items and pulled out the flyers... she sort of rolled her eyes but she did it :)

5 comments:

  1. WOW you do a lot of work to save money. Good job. I am just to lazy and hate to shop. I just pay to get in and get out. But I just may have to change my mind. As I get older I have more time than money. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does not take that much time once you get started.. I mean it does.. but not really. price matching alone only took about 20 minutes. It is hard right now since we mostly only eat vegetables.. not shopping for most of the things that go on sale. I only saved a few dollars yesterday.. but I am just starting off slow and getting a feel for it and then hoping to do more and more each trip :) Will never make millions and no plans of adding on to the house so i can have a stock pile.. but would love to save some money each trip

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really put a lot of thought and organization into this and sounds like it was worth it. Saving money is alway a good thing.
    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good habit to be frugal and wise when shopping. I think home economics is one of the most challenging tasks of life. I commend your efforts! We blew out the budget this week and only had one coupon. It was just one of those times when everything ran out at once, from cat food to shampoo. I need a new system and so this is a really helpful post to motivate me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to coupon! I started a dedication to it a few months ago and have saved so much money. It doesn't take too much effort to save 50% on the grocery bill. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete