Saturday, November 12, 2011

Stormy Beach

Winter is arriving... with the wind and the rain. I love the beach and this time of year is my favorite... the wind comes in crashing the waves on the shore and then rips them back out.. dragging sand and rocks and logs with it... churning it all up and uncovering all the treasures.

There is power and life on the beach in a storm and one never knows what little bits of beautiful it may uncover and leave laying on the beach to be found. Yesterday there was a period of strong wind gust and it happened to be at high tide.. which was not all that high.. but mixed with the wind gust is made it so much more powerful and amazing. We were only out there for a few minutes yesterday and got a couple of pictures is all... I will be heading out there this week to see what has been turned up so there will be more pictures soon... this time of year.. there will be a lot of beach pictures :)
Normally at a 10.4 tide the water would be many feet from the little sea wall there... with plenty of room to walk down the beach.. and.. this is not big ocean beach.. most of the time we have little ripples not big frothy waves.

I am a little concerned though as I have been reading reports that items from the Japan earthquake and tsunami are expected to start washing up on beaches before too long.. with the most of it arriving in 2013. Beach Combers Alert Even though I do not expect any to wash up on the beach I spend time on..it would have to go around Whidbey island. I do know I will be looking at each item a bit differently. That tsunami really affected my time on the beach... I have not walked the shore since without being thankful for everything I have or without thinking on those who lost so much.

5 comments:

  1. Just love the ocean and the sounds of the ocean. Such a beautiful (if not sightly haunting) picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful! I love the big waves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very creepy, Michelle, about the Japanese stuff washing up on shore. Might make for some very interesting beach combing though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Japanese stuff washing up fills me with mixed feelings.. ever since the earth quake and tsunami I have been mixed up while on the beach... so much power and destruction happened... to find something from there would be amazing and touching and could be scary and disgusting too.. everything that washes up on the beach has a history.. some of it good and some not so good.. every treasure I find makes me wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should say only that its awesome! The blog is informational and always produce amazing things.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete