We got up early at camp and went over to have breakfast... all you can eat pancakes :) then we wrapped up camp and headed into Durango to return the rental car on our way out of town. We ended up spending a couple of hours just hanging out in Durango.. visiting the train depot and the muesum...walking around town and doing some window shopping.. Dave and I can not wait to go back to that area.. can see us moving there at some point
We then headed towads Colorado Springs... our plan was to spend as much time on the road as possible and get as far as we could. We had one kid with a crappy attitude... seems there is always one.. I think they plan it between themselves that at least one of them has to be giving attitude .. for the most part they have been wonderful... and I know that the adults on this trip have also had plenty of attitude.. lol I always do... It is my job! Being all stuck together in a motorhome for over 2 weeks does have some challanges... for the most part it has all been great. .
One of the best things about this day was Wold Creek Pass it was a long hot pass... but.. driving up there was a turnout for a waterfall.. and it was so pretty... said there was a look out up 200 feet on a trail.. so up we went.. funny how 200 feet does not seem like a lot until it is straight up. It was the most worth while thing though.. it was a beautiful waterfall.. and we were standing right at the base of it.. could play in the pool it made... took lots of photos... and stood in the spray and laughed... so much fun... and then by the time we were back down we were all dry and hot again.. but it had been so pretty. When we got to the top of the pass we pulled over to have some lunch... made some cheese and crackers and stuff up and we ate and looked out over the field where the continental divide is.
By the time lunch was over everyone had a better attitude... I think it helped that we had fallen off the grid... phones no longer worked.... so no texting messaging with friends... funny how that works... ( yes mom I hear you laughing at me ) at the bottom of the pass we pulled over to do a cache... it was on a dirt road with a big parking spot... right on a small river.. so we pulled in and Dave and I set off to find the cache while the kids threw rocks in the river. It was so pretty there... found out the little side roads off the parking area all had camping spots on them... then we headed back down the road to Colorado Springs... we got a few miles down the road and pulled over at little store for a few supplies... Dave and I decided to head back to the dirt roads and camping spots and have a phone free fun night with the kids. We drove up the dirt road for a bit.. finally found a spot that would work with the motor home.... got it all set up... a little fire going.. and the lightening and thunder started... hot dogs on sticks... sitting around the fire..and the rain starts dumping.. and it does not rain in Colorado like it does in Washington.. I know I have said it before..and I will say it again... it POURS in Colorado. We went inside to eat our hot dogs and ended up pulling down to the turn out to park for the night.. just to be sure we did not get flooded out and end up in a boat that looked like a motor home :) It was a great night.. played games with the kids... laughed... checked out lots of bugs... ask one of the kids about the million of bugs..... and had a good time.








No comments:
Post a Comment