Sunday, August 15, 2010

Home

We made it.. and it feels good!

We started off Sunday morning geocaching along I-90 on our way home. We did not find hundreds but it was still fun... a lot of places we can not take the motor home... hmmm guess we will have to come back with the jeep :) Since we love road trips...and caching..... this seems like an awesome plan.

The ride home was long... and hot... everything went pretty smoothly... some caching... some sight seeing.. Love the town of Wallace Idaho..hoping to go back and spend some time there. That is where Interstate 90 used to go right through the middle of town.. and it is the home of the last stop light on 90. They have routed the interstate around town but the stop light is still up.. it is an old town and has a lot of character. There are also a lot of jeep trails near there and caches out in the woods. I am hoping to find some time to spend at least a long weekend there.


We got close to Ellensburg and started feeling like we were almost home.. decided we would stop in Cle Elum for a milk shake at this place we love.. and stretch our legs... well before we made it through Ellensburg we figured out that was going to be a great plan ( or so we thought ) Traffic was totally clogged up.. we were moving about 5 miles an hour.. on an interstate.. and this was no holiday weekend. Listening to the CB it sounded like it went on for at least 50 miles.. so we decided to get some dinner with the milkshake and kill an hour or so, along with everyone else that pulled off.. dinner took about 2 hours. Sun had gone down... it was 9 pm.. we should have been home by now.. but oh well... traffic would be so much better... and no sun in our eyes... well half right.. traffic was even worse... we got on the interstate and did not move.. traffic was totally stopped. Then we would go for a short distance.. and then we would all stop again... we talked about the rubber band effect... Arghhhh. This was just the traffic going back over the mountains.. no accidents.. and no construction. Heck of a welcome home... even in Salt Lake City downtown rush hour traffic we moved faster. Finally made it home about 1 am.. house was 900 degrees... lol all the sun/heat we thought we would have on vacation was here while the rain/storms followed us for the last 2 weeks. Opened all the windows and turned on the fans... house finally cooled down and we were asleep by 2... alarm went off at 6:30 and back to the real world :(

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Wallace, Idaho! Used to go through there on our way to Montana to go snowmobiling. There's a super gift shop there that I really enjoyed (assume it's still there — it's been a few years). It's a very picturesque town. I'm thinking it was around there that they filmed the movie "Dante's Peak" with Linda Hamilton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm that made me go look.. and yes that movie was filmed there.. I have never seen this movie and now I want to... seems odd I have not.. I remember seeing Volcano which came out right after. Has been added to my list to see :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete