Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Passing of a Loved One

My grandma passed away this week and I have just gotten back from her service. On the way there and way back I was doing some thinking and talking to the kids about her and some of our memories of her. She was a very old grandma who had shared a wonderful long life with all of us. I know she is where she wants to be and I am happy for her. I am also sad. Not because she has passed but because we have all gotten so old. Talking with my sisters and my cousins and everyone today...I think how nice it would be to go back and we could all sit around the table and play games again and have grandpas ice cream. I can close my eyes and see, smell and feel her home.. so many smells of everything cooking... people laughing.. and arguing... and it is too warm.. it was always Hot at grandmas. That was what I was sad for... and well.. one can not go back..... but... I look around my life... and there is so much grandma in my every day happenings. I have a house full of kids who love to sit around and play games.. we still play all the games we used to play with grandma.. aggravation.. and zilch and skippo.. those are some of our favorite games. I look through my cooking blog and I see her recipes... cookies and grandpas ice cream.. .. I also have a pitcher of her favorite juice, lemonade and grape juice made together.. in my fridge every summer. I look over to the basket by my bedroom door... full of yarn and knitting and crochet hooks.. and her crochet bag she gave me is sitting in it. Every time a flower blooms in the spring I think of her and of the time I spent helping in her garden. We don't have to go back in time... I am taking her with me... every time we share in something that she shared with us. She will always be here not only in my memories but in my every day life... in the things I do and my kids do :)

I love you the mostest grandma and hey.. can you give grandpa a hug for me :)
~Shelly


3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Thank you for writing and sharing it.

    I don't think we're ever really ready to say good-bye, even when we know it's best.

    I have GOT to make some of your grandma's favorite juice -- it sounds refreshing and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very nice post, Michelle. My condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elle and Michael, Thank you so much :)

    Elle, you should try the juice.. I would never have thought to mix the two but everyone I have shared it with has loved it.. just mix them both up in the same pitcher... it is perfect on a hot day :)

    ReplyDelete